FORT HENCKEL MILITIA MUSTER ROLLS OF 1775

Fort Henckel, was located deep in the Allegheny Mountains in West Augusta, western Virginia, when it was built in 1761-62 by Johann Justus Henckel, Sr. (706-1778), other members of his family with perhaps help from neighboring settlers.   The location near Riverton, Pendleton County, West Virginia, in what is known as Germany Valley
The fort was built as a protection  for Henckel, his family, and other pioneers against the Native Americans who frequented the valley from time to time. 
This monument marks the site of the fort.
The fort may have been the only outpost in Pendleton County for the patriot forces during the American Revolutionary War.  While it has been generally that recognized that John Justus Henckel, Sr. served as commander of the fort and furnished supplies to the troops of the Virginia Militia who were quartered there, solid primary proof of his service and that of the Virginia Militia who were headquatered there including the North Fork Military Company which had been organized by settlers early in the Revolutionary War.  
From time to time, old records turn up.  Recently, Stephanie Mitchell, a researcher from the Midwest and a descendants of the Hinkle, Teter, Vandeventer, Cassel, Lambert, Bible and other Pendleton County, West Virginia families, unearthed an OLD record in a 1672 French Bible of another of her ancestors, Joseph Louis Cheuvront  (b. France 1757, d. Harrison County, now West Virginia, 1832) .  This well- preserved Bible contains what is purported to be the Militia Muster Rolls for John Skidmore’s Company at Fort Henckel  for June 6 and September 8, 1775. 
copied from - http://www.hackerscreek.com/cpage.php?pt=95
copied on March 11, 2017.

CLICK BELOW - 


  • Browse the Table of Contents of the Hacker's Creek Journal.  The  Journals are available in *.pdf format by visiting our download site. 
  • http://www.hackerscreek.com/cpage.php?pt=33
Henckel, John Justice VIII/3/40, X/1/37 -
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...