VANDEVELDE

BERNARD FRANCIS VANDEVELDE
Bernard Van De Velde (1854-1920) was the son of Peter Francis and Johanna Francina VandeVelde. Peter and Johanna left their home in Sluis, Zeeland, Netherlands and sailed to America in 1851 with five sons.  The earliest record of the VandeVelde family in Cleveland is in the 1861 Cleveland City Directory. Bernard and the rest of the VandeVelde children were born in Cleveland and raised on China Street, later moving to Pearl Road, and then to 2713 Woodbridge Street, on the west side. In 1880 he was a draftsman with the firm of Heard and Smith and by 1885 was listed as an architect in Cleveland City Directories. In 1885 he had a short-lived partnership with Vincent Wyss, who later practiced in Lancaster, Ohio. Van De Velde was the architect of several significant ecclesiastical buildings for the Roman Catholic diocese in the last decade of the 19th century and the first decade of the 20th century. Notably, he designed the Gothic Revival style Our Lady of Lourdes Church, St. Wenceslas Church, and St. Philemon Church. He never married and was a member of St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church. He died of cancer on October 24, 1920. The following are photos of some of the commercial buildings, private residences and churches that he designed as an Architect. 
information found on the CLEVELAND LANDMARKS COMMISSION web site -  http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/arch/archDetail.php?afil=&archID=256&pageNum_rsArchitects=7&totalRows_rsArchitects=337

Adolph & Julius Pletcher Block, 1892 -
1879-1887 Fulton Rd. Cleveland

Commercial Building for Chrisopher Hoflich, 1909 -
9912 Lorain Ave., Cleveland

Residence for Henry Krosen, 1890 -
4315-7 Whitman Ave., Cleveland

Immaculate Conception Church, 1902 -
103 West 4th St., Cleveland

St. Mary's Church (remodeling) Wakeman, Ohio

Commercial Building for Jonathan Goetz, 1892 -
1898 West 25th Street, Cleveland

Residence for Elizabeth Bertrand ,1891 -
3700 Woodbine Ave. Cleveland

Immaculate Conception Rectory, 1891 -
4129 Superior Ave., Cleveland

St. Augustine Parish House, 1904 -
 2486 West 14th Street, Cleveland
Click on the title, BERNARD FRANCIS VANDEVELDE for the entire listing of Bernard's work, the date, address and status of the building and sources for the above information.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Joseph D. and Ruth Beck VandeVelde

Ruth Elizabeth Beck & Dr. Joseph Daniel VandeVelde
wedding photo - June 12, 1948

Dr. Joseph Daniel VandeVelde
1909-1975

Joseph graduated from St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland Ohio in 1927. He graduated from The Ohio State University in 1934 from the Medical School.
Dr. Joseph D. VandeVelde
After WWII, Dr. VandeVelde went into Private Practice in Lakewood, Ohio, and also served as Police Surgeon from 1951 to 1967. Beginning in 1968, Dr. VandeVelde closed his private practice and finished his career as an Emergency Room Physician at Lakewood Hospital, then Good Samaritan Hospital at Sanduski, Ohio, and completing at Magruder Hospital in Port Clinton, Ohio.
~~~~~~~~~~
Obituary - The Plain Dealer, Monday April 21, 1975-Dr. Joseph D. VandeVelde, 66, a former surgeon and physician here, died yesterday at H.B. Magruder Memorial Hospital, Port Clinton.
He moved to Lakeside, Ohio, in 1969 after spending about 30 years on the staff of St. John and Lakewood hospitals. Dr. VandeVelde also was an assistant Cleveland police surgeon for 17 years and had offices in Lakewood.
He was an emergency room physician at Magruder Hospital from 1969 until last June.
Dr. VandeVelde was a Major in an Army Medical Battalion in world War II. He was captured by the Japanese in the Battle of Bataan in 1942 and was a prisoner more than three years.
He is survived by his wife, Ruth E., daughter, Betty Ann Ebersole and son, J. Daniel.
Services will be at 11 tomorrow morning at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Port Clinton, Ohio.

Dr. Joseph VandeVelde, served in the Army during WWII. His reporting date was May 7, 1942 and he was discharged Oct. 16, 1945. He was in the Medical Corps serving in the Southwest Pacific Theatre: Philippine Islands. He was taken a Prisoner of War and was part of the Bataan Death March. The camp listed was- Fukuoka POW Camp #1 - Kashii (Pine Tree Camp) Kyushu Island 33-130 (National Archives and Records Administration. WWII Prisoners of War, 1941-1946)

Ruth "Betty" Elizabeth Beck
1913-1980

Betty graduated from Tiffin High School , Tiffin, Ohio in 1930. She attended Heidelberg College in Tiffin, Ohio and received her BA in Philosophy in 1934. She continued on at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio and received her BS in Home Economics in 1936.
From 1942 to 1948, Betty trained Hostesses and Waitresses for Stouffers in Cleveland, Ohio.
Before moving to Westlake in 1976, Betty was a resident of Lakeside. She was a member of the Ottawa and Cuyahoga County Medical Association Auxiliaries, Lakewood Chapter of the DAR, Womens Guild of St. John's Hospital, and The Ohio State University Alumni Association. taught French, Biology, and Home Economics and ran the school cafeteria in Green Springs, Ohio for four and a half years.


Betty & Joe
1969

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...